Saturday, August 05, 2006

They tell me that I'll want to come back, but I beg to differ. Even those who travelled to London and returned just last week tell me that Russia is better than Britain; the food is better, everything is cheaper, and the people are more open. But that's because they are Russians themselves and nothing is as good as it is back in your home land. I tell my disappointed-looking students that I'm not coming back and they all ask the same thing: Why? Knowing that the truth would only hurt them, I say simply, 'I'm not Russian, Russia is not my home', looking at them sadly, and that seems to do the trick.

Obviously, I am distancing myself so as to make the parting easier, of course, I love Russia deep down in my, uh, soul. I will never forget the kindness of my host family, nor the sensitive and caring nature of the ladies. I will always think of Russia now when I see snow, or smell sewage (oops, I forgot I'm meant to be mentioning the good points), and remember it with nostalgia induced fondness.

Russia, you have been good to me, and I will always remember you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home