Friday, July 14, 2006

Word has reached me once again from our travelling comrade Elliot. You'll be pleased to know that he is now in Ireland enjoying real Guinness and the warmth of the notorious Irish hospitality. No, I keep telling myself, I'm not envious. After all what has Ireland got that Russia has not? There's the literary heroes; can we compare Dostoevsky to Joyce, or Yeats to Pushkin? They've got Guinness, but we've (I'm a temporary Russian) got Baltika number 7. They've got the fiddle and we've got the balalaika. We have opera and ballet and they have Michael Flatley..... need I really go on.... Yes? Well I can't think of any more so that'll have to do.

I took myself off for a walking tour of the city, with a Russian companion, who seemed to have an ulterior motive of trying to get me to become an Orthodox Christian, which she has tried and failed to do before (it was once again a case of me saying 'no' and a Russian person ignoring me). We walked for miles and funnily enough ended up at a church, a most sacred place here in Tyumen for it is the oldest church in the town. Having been destroyed in the Soviet days, it's still undergoing repairs, but it has a very fine selection of portraits of all the well-known Biblical characters adorning the walls. It's recommended that when entering an Orthodox church ladies should cover their hair and legs (or hairy legs haha) with dirty rags that are provided at the entrance, not for any religious reasons but to stop old women tutting and old men perving! It's true. I suggested that they just have a door policy – no judgemental or lecherous people can come into a place of holiness, seeing as they're not very admirable characteristics anyway....

Moving quickly on, there's not much else to tell, folks. I have done a colossal 6 hours work this week so far, which has been tough I can tell you. The weather has been good for a change and we went a whole day without rain. This weekend I am going to Tobolsk, which is another Siberian town, smaller than this one, but more historic.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And meanwhile, back west...
Lily Allen is number 1,
Paris Hilton has a record deal,
It's very warm,
England are 494 for 7 on Day 1 of the first test against Pakistan,
It's the SWAP festival this weekend - free thing at Urbis on Sunday - Kloot, Cherry Ghost, Liam Frost... should be good if it's fine,
Pauline Fowler is leaving Eastenders, possibly being killed off, prob on Xmas Day,
Plan B is ruthless, harsh and fantastic,
David Walliams has swum the channel for Sport relief.

That's all from me! Jus xx

8:48 PM  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

Hey Jus!
I was wondering where you had got to - sent you an email a while back but the cyberspace here has a tendency to eat emails or something.
All sounds good back in Blighty - I'll be home on the 7th whoooot - whoooot!! Do you like plan B?! I couldn't make my mind up about him!
Have fun at the SWAP fesitval!
Seeeya!

11:19 AM  
Blogger IAmJack'sBlog said...

"no judgemental or lecherous people can come into a place of holiness, seeing as they're not very admirable characteristics anyway..."

no, but they are the foundation of worship. Otherwise all religions could just get on with each other with no wars and fighting. And where would we be then?!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SWAP was good thanks, though didn't stay til then end - it was too bloody hot!!
I am a Plan B fan. It's hard to listen to as it's so viscious, but I like the rap/acoustic combo.
7th of August? How time flies! (though maybe not so fast for you!)
xx

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Get Cape Wear Cape Fly - heard any stuff?

4:56 PM  
Blogger Girl Least Likely To said...

Not heard them, but I like the name! How time does fly, thankfully, it has flown even quicker this time round!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you will like them. Def one to listen out for when you get back anyway. No officail releases yet so you don't have to worry about missing the boat! x

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home